Tuesday, 1 January 2013

QPR V Liverpool

Liverpool looked to bounce back from the defeat at Stoke but had an last minute blow with the news that Brad Jones and manager Brendan Rodgers had been sent back to Liverpool due to illness.

This left Colin Pascoe and Mike Marsh in charge for the match against basement boys QPR who last season came from 2-0 down with 13 minutes to go to get a 3-2 at Loftus Road which spearheaded their relegation fight.

Just like at Stoke, Liverpool came flying out of the blocks with Suarez testing Cesar after only three minutes showing Liverpool had come to win and to avenge last season.

In the 10th minute, Suarez gained possession about 30 yards from goal and advanced on the defence swishing past Clint Hill and rolling the ball past Cesar into the bottom corner to open the scoring.

QPR looked really open to the Liverpool attack and only six minutes later the lacklustre defence of the home side proved costly as Suarez shimmied into the box and swept a cross over to Sterling, the ball was cleared straight to Suarez who then fired into the net and sealed his brace to put Liverpool clear with only a quarter of the game played.

Liverpool have had problems in the past at 2-0 in killing the fight of the opposition and today learned from their mistakes as in the 28th minute, Downing took a short corner to Gerrard who whipped in a cross and found the head of Agger who smashed it home for a 3-0 lead inside half an hour.

Both Henderson and Gerrard had the chance to make it 4-0 before the break while the only QPR threat came from Taarabt who tested Reina several times but the Liverpool keeper came out on top each time.

Liverpool began the second half like the first with Suarez testing Cesar looking to seal his hat trick with a left footed drive but QPR came out and looked like a different team as they attacked Liverpool with Traore flashing the ball across the box only for the incoming Mackie to be unable to connect to the pass.

Mbia came close with a free-kick forcing a good save from Reina but the comeback didn't come and Liverpool held on for a comfortable win to take back to Anfield.

Next up is Sunderland travelling to Anfield in a game which is always tight and even more so with Sunderland defeating Man City and narrowly losing to Spurs this week.