Tuesday, 14 May 2013

Merseyside Derby Ends In Stalemate

After a crushing win over Newcastle,Liverpool were forced to settle for a goalless draw against Everton after a tense Merseyside derby at Anfield.

On a day that was Jamie Carragher's thirtieth and final Merseyside derby, Liverpool failed to secure a vital win that would have closed the gap on their city rivals.

Liverpool started the better as Sturridge sent a half-volley wide from 20 yards out but despite that opening it was Everton who came closest to opening the scoring as Fellaini met a free-kick in the 17th minute with a volley which inched past the post.

On the half-hour, only a superb intervention by Jagielka prevented Gerrard from breaking the deadlock as after controlling a Downing cross, Henderson created a chance for the captain which found a strong block.

Jagielka denied Liverpool again as Sturridge failed to control a pass which found its way to Coutinho and he burst into the box but a last-ditch tackle by the centre-back cleared the danger.

After the restart, the combination of Sturridge and Coutinho came close to a crucial impact as a defence splitting pass gave Sturridge a view at goal but as he attempted to go round Howard, the Everton stopper anticipated the move and quelled the attack.

Everton found the back of the net on the hour mark but the goal was chalked off after Distin headed a corner past Reina but an obstruction in the area kept the score level. Coutinho came close after Johnson's cross from the right found no contact and strolled to the Brazilian but he drilled a shot that went straight to the arms of Howard.

Liverpool surged forward as Sturridge hit a nice pass to Gerrard but he went past Howard and from a tight angle created a chance which was cleared by the defence, both sides pushed for a winner and Agger failed to connect to a Gerrard free-kick before Anichebe hit the woodwork as the game neared the end. 

As the final whistle blew, both sides accepted that a draw was a deserved result as they took away a point each.Liverpool move onto face Fulham next week in their penultimate game of the season.