Friday, 27 September 2013

Hernandez Puts Liverpool Out

After the weekend defeat to Southampton in the league, Liverpool turned their focus to an away trip to play Manchester United in the Capital One Cup fourth round.

Surprisingly, United named a slightly weakened side when compared to a strong Liverpool lineup with included the return of Luis Suarez but it was the home side that started the better as Nani hit a 20-yard shot that flew wide and failing to trouble Mignolet.

Liverpool fought back and a neat combination of passes between Suarez and Sturridge saw the latter surge towards goal only to hit narrowly wide and shortly after, Suarez collected from a long pass to the back post but was prevented from a chance by De Gea.

Liverpool seemed to have the momentum but the United defence held firm as the sides went into half time level at 0-0. The equality lasted barely seconds into the second half as a Rooney corner was flicked in on the volley by Hernandez to send the home fans wild and give United the lead.

Liverpool fought back and could have equalised through Henderson as a Sturridge pass found Evans but the United defender could only clear to Henderson who side-footed a shot but it rolled wide of the goal.

Kagawa could have made it 2-0 as he charged down the middle and swept a powerful shot which beat Mignolet but found the top of the crossbar, this spured on Liverpool's search for a leveller and Suarez met a corner on the edge of the area but could only find the side netting.

A diving header by Moses from Enrique's cross went straight at De Gea as Liverpool piled on the pressure, Suarez hit a superb free-kick which deflected on the path towards the goal and smashed against the crossbar.

Rooney had two great chances to kill Liverpool's hopes, first with an effort from 20 yards
The forward's whipped free-kick was pushed out wide by Mignolet before his 20-yard curling effort from the resulting corner was also denied by the Belgian custodian.
In the closing moments of the match, Henderson received a short corner and whipped a shot towards the near post that deflected and took De Gea by surprise as it smacked against the goal frame.
Shortly after, Suarez found space in behind the Red Devils' rearguard to roll the ball across to Kolo Toure, whose side-footed attempt was dragged off-target - ensuring United progressed into the next round of the competition.