Friday, 3 January 2014

Reds Claim Hull Revenge

Liverpool bounced back from the double Christmas defeats to gain revenge on Hull for the 3-1 defeat in the previous meeting as they moved back into the top four.

Cissokho and a rare start for Aspas replaced the injured Allen and Sakho with the fit-again captain Gerrard on the bench as both sides made a mixed start at a wind swept Anfield, Hull had the first real chance as Sagbo hit a volley over the crossbar.

Suarez found space and hit a chancing lob across goal but it failed to test McGregor but the Uruguayan did have the ball in the net after connecting to Coutinho's free-kick but was pulled back for offside.

Coutinho and Sterling both had chances with Suarez picking out Sterling with a header but the winger's side-footed chance was blocked but Liverpool did take the lead in the 36th minute as Agger met Coutinho's corner to head past McGregor for his first goal of the season.

Henderson had a chance to make it two when Aspas deflected a Coutinho pass into his path but he hit the ball wide of the left post as Liverpool went into half-time with a slender 1-0 lead. The lead became two after five minutes of the second half as Suarez hit his 20th league goal of the season with a stunning free-kick from 25 yards that curled past McGregor to double the lead.

Hull rung the changes with a trio of substitutions but Liverpool made an important one of their own as Gerrard returned following a month out to boost the home fans confidence while Coutinho clipped an effort off target followed by a threatening shot which forced a good save from McGregor.

Huddlestone tested Mignolet to no avail and Elmohamady volleyed over as the seconds ticked down but there was time for one last piece of action as Suarez hit for goal from 40 yards from a set-piece but found the Kop as Liverpool returned to winning ways.

Next up is the FA Cup third round tie against last seasons giant-killers Oldham as Liverpool look to avenge their 2013 exit at the hands of the Latics.