Friday, 4 December 2015

Capital One Cup Quarter Final Review

After a while since the previous round, the Capital One Cup resumed at the quarter final stage as eight teams looked to book a place in the semi finals and be just two games away from a trip to Wembley.

Tuesday night saw a trio of meetings which began with Manchester City's hosting of Championship side Hull City and it was no surprise that the hosts scored the opening goal as Wilfried Bony struck in the 12th minute. Hull did superbly after going behind to old the hosts to just the single goal but the difference between the sides began to tell as the game entered the final ten minutes.

Kelechi Iheanacho doubled City's lead before two goals in five minutes from Kevin De Bruyne made it 4-0 but despite an exit now being certain for the Tigers, they did have the last say as Robertson struck a late effort for 4-1.

Championship side Middlesbrough hosted top flight Everton at the Riverside Stadium with 'Boro hoping to edge closer to repeating their past glories in the competition while the Blues were keen to boost hopes of a first triumph. The Blues struck twice in eight minutes before the half hour mark with Gerard Deulofeu and Romelu Lukaku striking in the 20th and 28th minutes to open up a 2-0 lead. Middlesbrough battled on to try and close the gap but to their despair, the two goal lead was too much as the Blues held firm to reach the next round.

Completing a trio of cross-division meetings, top flight Stoke City played host to Championship side Sheffield Wednesday with both sides knowing a win and a good semi draw would put them in good stead for an unlikely trophy win. However, the Potters showed the prowess in the first third of the game as Ibrahim Afellay put them ahead in the 30th minute and the visitors hopes were dashed last into the second half as Phil Bardsley added a strike on 75 minutes to seal a 2-0 victory.

The final game of the round came on Wednesday night and saw an all-top flight meeting between Southampton and Liverpool with the Saints looking equal their best run in the competition since the '80s while the Reds looked to seal a record 16th appearance in the semi finals. Southampton made a perfect start to the game at St Marys as Sadio Mane headed them into a 1-0 lead in less than 42 seconds. However, Liverpool staged a superb turnaround in a four minute period just before the half hour mark as fit again Daniel Sturridge struck a brace in the 25th and 29th minutes for 2-1.

 The Reds extended their lead just before half-time as Divock Origi connected to a shot from Alberto Moreno for 3-1. Southampton were being ripped apart by a Reds lineup which had six changes from their previous game and it only got worse for the hosts as Origi scored his second on 68 minutes for 4-1 before Jordan Ibe made it 5-1 just five minutes later.  A woeful night for the Saints ended with a sixth for the visitors as Origi sealed his first hat-trick for the Reds with a strike in the 86th minute to complete the rout.