Thursday, 25 August 2016

Manchester Duo On Top While Clarets Deny Reds

Gameweek two began with the first Friday night game of the season as Manchester United looked for back-to back wins as they hosted Southampton. United struck an opener on 36 minutes as Zlatan Ibrahimovic made it two goals in as many games. He went one better by striking a second and his third of the season with a penalty on 52 minutes to complete a 2-0 win.

The early kick-off on Saturday saw Stoke City hosting Manchester City at the newly named Bet365 Stadium. Alike their first game, City took the lead with a Sergio Aguero penalty this time in the 27th minute before he struck a second just nine minutes later for 2-0. Bojan Krkic pulled one back for the Potters from the penalty spot four minutes after the restart but the hopes of a comeback never really surfaced and a late brace from Nolito in the final four minutes completed a 4-1 win.

Burnley hosted Liverpool looking to bounce back from their opening loss while the Reds hoped to extend their winning start. The Clarets made a stunning start as Sam Vokes fired them ahead inside two minutes. Liverpool dominated possession but were unable to make it count and when Andre Gray capitalised on a mistake, Burnley were 2-0 up on 37 minutes. The Reds were unable to strike back and suffered defeat despite ending the game with an enormous 80% possession.

Swansea City hosted Hull City with both sides aiming to make it two wins from two games. The sides were evenly matched for the majority of the game with the score blank long after the hour mark. Shaun Maloney put the visitors ahead with 11 minutes remaining before Abel Hernandez secured a 2-0 win in the final minutes.

A London derby at White Hart Lane saw Tottenham Hotspur host Crystal Palace with the Eagles looking to get off the mark for the season. They looked on course to secure their first point of the season as the sides remained level long into the second half but the hosts claimed all three points with an 82nd minute winner from Victor Wanyama.

Another all-London battle took place at Vicarage Road as Watford played host to Chelsea. The Hornets struck the opening goal of the game as Etienne Capoue made it two goals in two games in the 55th minute. Chelsea left it late to win in their opening game and did the same this time around with Michy Batshuayi levelling with ten minutes to go before Diego Costa sealed the 2-1 win three minutes from the end.

West Brom hosted Everton at the Hawthorns looking to record back-to-back wins with the Toffees looking to remain unbeaten. The Baggies started superbly as Gareth McAuley gave them the lead inside nine minutes. Everton went into half-time on level terms thanks to a late effort from Kevin Mirallas before Gareth Barry secured the points on the hour mark as the Blues won 2-1.

The evening kick-off saw a battle between last season's top two as champions Leicester City hosted Arsenal. The sides were evenly matched to the point that neither was able to mount a way to break the deadlock. The game ended goalless meaning both sides earned their first point of the season.

Super Sunday saw the Tees-Wear derby as Sunderland hosted Middlesbrough with the visitors looking to maintain their unbeaten start to the season. Their pursuit was boosted early on as Cristhian Stuani struck an opener in the 13th minute. He doubled the lead just before half-time for 2-0 before Patrick Van Aanholt kept Sunderland in the game with a 71st minute strike. The hosts battled to try and salvage a point but to no avail as 'Boro made it four points from a possible six.

The final game of the weekend came from London Stadium as West Ham United hosted Bournemouth. The sides seemed to be evenly matched across the first hour or so and looked to be on course for a share of the points. However, the Cherries suffered a blow with the dismissal of Harry Arter 13 minutes from the end and the Hammers handed them further punishment five minutes from the end as Michail Antonio made it 1-0 and ensured that the hosts opened their league campaign at their new stadium with a win.