Thursday, 6 October 2016

Spurs Cut City's Lead While Reds Overcome Swans

Ahead of the International break, game-week seven of the Premier League saw a close run programme with just five sides scoring twice and jut five shut-outs overall.

Friday night saw Everton host Crystal Palace with the Blues hoping to keep up their good start to the season. Their hopes were boosted with the opening goal on 36 minutes from Romelu Lukaku. However, they would share the points due to a leveller from Christian Benteke which came five minutes after half-time for 1-1.

Saturday's early kick-off saw Swansea City host Liverpool with the Reds looking to close up at the top of the league. They suffered an early blow though as Leroy Fer slotted the Swans into the lead inside nine minutes. The visitors replied through Roberto Firmino just before the hour mark before sealing the win seven minutes from the end with a penalty from James Milner. 

After a good start, Hull City have slipped away and they hosted in-form Chelsea looking to bounce-back. However, the Blues were more than a match for them as they claimed a 2-0 win with two strikes in the space of six minutes after the hour mark. Willian opened the scoring before Diego Costa confirmed the win.

Sunderland looked to move off the bottom of the league as they hosted West Bromwich Albion. The Baggies opened the scoring on 36 minutes as Nacer Chadli continued his scoring form for 1-0. The visitors were denied the win late on as Patrick Van Aanholt levelled on 83 minutes to salvage a 1-1 draw for the hosts.

Watford and Bournemouth met at Vicarage Road looking to boost mixed starts to the season and they shared the points in a 2-2 draw.

Callum Wilson gave the Cherries the lead on 31 minutes before an equaliser from Troy Deeney drew the Hornets level. Josh King regained the lead for the visitors only for the hosts to hit back within two minutes as Isaac Success Ajayi levelled with his first goal for Watford.

West Ham United haven't had the best start at their new home and they looked to boost their spirits as Middlesbrough visited London Stadium. A tight first half saw the sides remain level at 0-0 before a Cristhian Stuani opener for 'Boro came on 51 minutes. The sides would share the points though as Dmitri Payet levelled for the hosts on 58 minutes for 1-1.

Sunday's action began at Old Trafford as Manchester United hosted a Stoke City side eager to get out of the bottom three. A tight game despite their differing league positions saw the score remain 0-0 past the hour mark.

United broke the deadlock through substitute Anthony Martial only to have the potential of three points ended eight minutes from the end as Stoke salvaged a point through Joe Allen who made it 1-1.

Leicester City and Southampton have had mixed starts to the season after fine campaigns last season and they continued their mixed starts with a 0-0 draw.

A battle at the top saw Tottenham Hotspur host current leaders Manchester City with the visitors looking to extend their perfect start.

However, Spurs had other ideas and they took a fortunate lead inside nine minutes as Aleksandar Kolarov hit into his own net. The lead was doubled before half-time by Dele Alli and the hosts did well to maintain their 2-0 lead and hand City a first loss of the season.

The final game of the weekend saw Burnley hosting Arsenal with the Gunners looking to close up at the top. They did just that with a last-gasp winner from Laurent Koscielny to secure a 1-0 win.