Saturday, 11 February 2017

Chelsea Extend Summit Stay As Hull Humble Reds

Gameweek 24 sees a minor addition with a short review of the sole FA Cup Fourth Round replay.

Chelsea moved 12 points clear at the top after a 3-1 win over fierce London rivals Arsenal.

Marcos Alonso fired the Blues ahead inside 13 minutes before Eden Hazard made it 2-0 seven minutes after half-time. The points were wrapped up five minutes from the end as former Gunner Cesc Fabregas struck but Arsenal did have the last say as Olivier Giroud scored late on.

Sunderland remain bottom but cut the gap to safety with a 4-0 win over Crystal Palace. 

Lamine Kone put the visitors ahead inside just nine minutes before Didier N'Dong doubled the lead two minutes before half-time. A stunning first half for Sunderland saw Jermaine Defoe strike an added time brace for 4-0.

Everton closed the gap to the top four as the took the points in a nine-goal thriller against Bournemouth. A rapid start from the Toffees saw Romelu Lukaku strike inside the first minute with James McCarthy doubling the lead before Lukaku sent the hosts into the lead with a 3-0 lead. 

The Cherries battled with a brace from Joshua King on 59 and 71 minutes before Lukaku completed his hat-trick and reached four for a 5-2 lead. Harry Arter made it 5-3 before Ross Barkley rounded off a 6-3 win.

Hull City remain in the bottom three despite a surprise 2-0 win over Liverpool who dropped out of the top four. The hosts went ahead just before half-time as Alfred N'Diaye struck before Oumar Niasse sealed the points with five minutes to go. 

West Ham United moved into the top half after a 3-1 win over Southampton. 

The Hammers fell behind with 12 minutes gone as Manolo Gabbiadini struck before Andy Carroll equalised two minutes later. The points were wrapped up by strikes either side of half-time as Pedro Obiang struck on 44 minutes and Mark Noble on 52 minutes.

Watford moved into the top half with a 2-1 win over Burnley. 

The Clarets suffered an early blow with Jeff Hendrick sent off inside six minutes and the Hornets took just four minutes to take advantage with Troy Deeney opening the scoring. M'Baye Niang doubled the lead at the interval with Ashley Barnes pulling one back for the Clarets with a 78th minute penalty.

West Bromwich Albion retained eighth spot with a narrow 1-0 win over Stoke City.

The winning goal for the Baggies was scored after just six minutes as James Morrison's strike sealed the points. 

The evening kick-off saw Tottenham open up a gap in second spot after a narrow 1-0 win over Middlesbrough. 

The crucial strike came on 58 minutes as Harry Kane converted a penalty.

Manchester City sit third after securing a 2-1 win over Swansea City.

The hosts went ahead in the 12th minute as Gabriel Jesus struck for 1-0, a lead that looked to be enough for the win as the game entered the final ten minutes. Gylfi Sigurdsson looked to have salvaged a draw for the Swans but Gabriel Jesus struck his second late on to claim the win.

The final game of the weekend saw Manchester United close on the top four with a comfortable 3-0 win over Leicester City. 

The visitors claimed the points with three strikes in the space of eight minutes either side of half-time. Henrikh Mkhitaryan put United ahead on 41 minutes with Zlatan Ibrahimovic doubling the lead into the interval. The third goal came on 49 minutes as Juan Mata struck. 

After the FA Cup Fourth Round saw just one game result in a draw, the sole replay took place in midweek as Leicester City hosted Derby County.

The Foxes went ahead through Andy King four minutes before half-time but the Championship side drew level through Camara just after the hour mark. The tie remained at 1-1 which resulted in extra time in which the Foxes secured a 3-1 win with goals from Ndidi and Demarai Gray.