Saturday, 22 April 2017

Chelsea's Gap Cut While Reds Edge Baggies

As the Premier League run-in is set to begin this very weekend, the FA Cup semi finals clash means a reduced programme but last weekend saw a full schedule which threw up a surprise at the top.

The weekend opened with the Saturday lunchtime kick-off at White Hart Lane as Tottenham Hotspur hosted Bournemouth.

Spurs raced into a 2-0 lead with goals from Moussa Dembele and Son Heung-Min inside the first 20 minutes. Bournemouth looked out of the contest less than four minutes after half-time as Harry Kane struck for 3-0 before Vincent Janssen completed the 4-0 rout late on.

Crystal Palace remain clear of the drop zone after coming from behind to secure a point against Leicester City.

The Foxes struck early through Robert Huth before Jamie Vardy doubled the lead on 53 minutes. An instant reply saw Yohan Cabaye make it 2-1 before a superb leveller from Christian Benteke sealed a 2-2 draw.

Everton kept up their European hopes with a 3-1 win over Burnley at Goodison Park.The Toffees went ahead four minutes after half time as Phil Jagielka extended his scoring run but his effort was quickly levelled by a Sam Vokes penalty.

An own goal from Ben Mee saw the hosts regain the lead before Romelu Lukaku wrapped up the points three minutes later.

Stoke City kept up the pressure on relegation threatened Hull City with a 3-1 win. Marko Arnautovic put the Potters ahead inside six minutes but Hull hit back through Harry Maguire on 51 minutes. The hosts secured the win with two goals after the hour as Peter Crouch struke ahead of Xherdan Shaqiri's effort.

Sunderland remain bottom of the table but cut the gap to safety as they salvaged a 2-2 draw against West Ham United. The Hammers raced into the lead as AndrĂ© Ayew scored inside five minutes but the hosts were to level on 26 minutes through Wahbi Khazri.

James Collins restored the lead for the visitors just after half-time but Sunderland were to suffer defeat as Fabio Borini equalised late on with the Hammers ending with ten men after Sam Byram's dismissal.

Swansea City remain in the drop zone after losing 1-0 away to Watford with the Hornets sealing the points three minutes before half time through Etienne Capoue's effort.

Manchester City strengthened their top four hopes with a comfortable 3-0 win at Southampton. The sides remained level after a close run first half but the deadlock was to be broken by a surprise strike as Vincent Kompany put City ahead.

Two goals in three minutes sealed the points as Leroy SanĂ© and Sergio Aguero struck on 77 and 80 minutes.

Liverpool also moved close to cementing a top four spot as they claimed a 1-0 win at West Bromwich Albion on Sunday. The crucial strike came in added time in the first half as Roberto Firmino sealed the win.

Chelsea's gap at the top was cut as they fell to a 2-0 defeat at Manchester United who themselves kept up their top four hopes.

An early opener from Marcus Rashford saw United lead inside seven minutes before Ander Herrera confirmed the win with a strike four minutes after half time.

The final game of the gameweek saw Middlesbrough host Arsenal on Monday night.

The Gunners opened the scoring three minutes before half time through Alexis Sanchez before Alvaro Negredo drew Boro level five minutes after the interval. The win was sealed for the visitors on 71 minutes by Mesut Ozil's effort for 2-1.