Tuesday, 25 August 2015

City Clear On Top As Cech Halts Reds

The new Premier League season is in full swing with a seven goal thriller the main highlight among six draws in week three.

Saturday's early game saw Manchester United host Newcastle United at Old Trafford with the hosts looking for a third successive win while the visitors hoped to secure a first. However, neither side was able to secure all three points as they shared the spoils in a 0-0 draw.

After suffering defeat to Arsenal, Crystal Palace hosted Aston Villa at Selhurst Park with hopes of bouncing back and they did just that in securing a 2-1 win against a Villa side with just one win from three games. Scott Dann opened the scoring in the 71th minute only for fellow Eagles defender Papa Souare to cancel out the effort with a 77th minute own goal. However, the Eagles sealed the win late on as debutant Bakary Sako struck with three minutes left of the 90.

Leicester's unbeaten start to the faced a tough test as they hosted Tottenham at the King Power Stadium but despite losing their 100% record they remain unbeaten after a 1-1 draw. Dele Alli put the visitors in front with just nine minutes left but their hopes of a win were instantly ended as in-form Riyad Mahrez struck to secure a point and keep the Foxes in second spot.

Norwich looked for their second win of the season as they hosted Stoke at Carrow Road, the Potters have yet to claim a victory and will have to wait another week as they were pegged back in a 1-1 draw. In-form Mame Biram Diouf put the visitors ahead inside 11 minutes before Russell Martin secured a point for the Canaries on 28 minutes.

Sunderland continued their quest for their first point of the season with the hosting of Swansea at the Stadium of Light while the Swans looked for their second victory. However, it was the hosts whose wish was fulfilled as the came from behind to secure a 1-1 draw.  Bafetimbi Gomis put the visitors in front just before the half-time interval before Jermain Defoe secured a point with a 62nd minute equaliser.

After narrow defeats in their first two games, Bournemouth travelled to face West Ham United at Upton Park looking to avoid a third while the Hammers aimed to bounce back after a loss to Leicester. Bournemouth started superbly with Callum Wilson scoring their first ever top flight goal inside 11 minutes. He added a second strike on 28 minutes to set up a 2-0 half-time advantage.

A Mark Noble penalty and Cheikou Kouyate within 13 minutes of the restart brought the hosts level but the Cherries regained the lead through Marc Pugh before a double blow for the Hammers saw Carl Jenkinson sent off and Callum Wilson complete his hat-trick from the penalty spot for 4-2. The deficit was reduced to 4-3 when Modibo Maiga struck on 82 minutes but the Cherries held on for a first win of the campaign.

Super Sunday began with West Bromwich Albion hosting Chelsea at The Hawthorns with both sides looking for their first win of the season. The Blues struck first with a debut goal from Pedro on 20 minutes before Diego Costa doubled the lead on the half hour. James Morrison replied for the Baggies on 35 minutes but they went into the interval 3-1 down after Cesar Azpilicueta's 42nd minute strike.

Chelsea were dealt a double blow just before the hour with John Terry dismissed on 54 minutes before Morrison struck his second goal on 59 minutes for 3-2. However, the Baggies were unable to take further advantage of having an extra man as the Blues secured their first triumph.

After a perfect start to the season, Manchester City travelled to face Everton at Goodison Park looking to maintain their record while the Toffees eyed back-to-back victories. A tight first half saw the sides go into the interval level at 0-0 but the deadlock was eventually broken on the hour as City edged ahead through Aleksandar Kolarov before sealing the win late on with Samir Nasri's 88th minute strike for 2-0.

Sunday's other game saw Watford and Southampton face-off at Vicarage Road with both sides looking for their first win of the season. However, neither got their wish as they shared the points in a 0-0 draw and one which the hosts will be happier from as they remain unbeaten with three draws in their three games.

Monday Night Football saw the big clash between Arsenal and Liverpool at the Emirates Stadium with the Reds looking to extend their perfect start to the season by handing the Gunners a second defeat.

 Despite their best efforts, Liverpool were unable to claim a win and in a first half where they hit post and bar, they ground out a 0-0 draw by preventing a revitalised Arsenal in the second period.