Tuesday, 1 September 2015

City Extend Perfect Start as Hammer Thrash Reds

Already four weeks of the new Premier League season have passed with this week's action sadly having a focus on dismissals with six in total and four of those split between two games alone.

The weekend began with the early kick-off from St James Park as Newcastle United hosted Arsenal with the Magpies still awaiting their first win. An early blow for the hosts came inside 16 minutes as Aleksandar Mitrovic was dismissed and they contributed to their own downfall again on 52 minutes as Fabrizio Coloccini deflected into his own net to give the visitors a 1-0 win.

Bottom side Sunderland looked for their first win as they travelled to Villa Park to face Aston Villa in the first of six 3pm kick-off's.

A rapid start from the visitors saw Yann M'Vila put them ahead inside eight minutes before a quick reply from Villa saw Scott Sinclair equalise from the penalty spot three minutes later. Sinclair put the hosts ahead four minutes before the interval but an equaliser from Jeremain Lens on 52 minutes secured a draw for the visitors who remain bottom of the table with two points.

Leicester have started superbly this season and they travelled to Dean Court to face Bournemouth with the Cherries looking for back-to-back wins. The hosts opened the scoring on 24 minutes as in-form Callum Wilson extended his scoring streak for the season for 1-0.

The Foxes remained behind as the game entered the last five minutes but with their unbeaten streak under threat, Jamie Vardy ensured it would continue as he equalised with an 86th minute penalty for 1-1.

Chelsea have made a mixed start to the defence of their title and were set to be tested again as in-form Crystal Palace visited Stamford Bridge. A tight first half saw the sides remain level into the half-time break but a shock was on the cards when Bakary Sako put the Eagles ahead. The Blues levelled through Radamel Falcao on 79 minutes but were soon behind again as James Ward sealed a 2-1 win for Palace on 81 minutes.

After two wins and a draw, Liverpool hosted West Ham United at Anfield looking to continue their unbeaten start while the Hammers looked to replicate their away win at Arsenal. A stunning start saw Hammers debutant Manuel Lanzini open the scoring in the third minute. Marc Noble added a second on 29 minutes and left the Reds with a mountain to climb.

The task grew tougher just seven minutes after the restart as Philippe Coutinho was dismissed but the sides were level numbers wise again on 78 minutes as Noble was dismissed. West Ham confirmed the win though with a late third as Diafra Sakho struck in the final minutes for 3-0.

Manchester City put their perfect start on the line at the Etihad Stadium as they hosted a unbeaten Watford side who had drawn all three games so far. A tight first half saw the sides remain level into the half-time break before a first league goal for City for Raheem Sterling opened up a 1-0 lead on 47 minutes. City sealed the win with a second goal just nine minutes later as Fernandinho made it 2-0.

Stoke continued their pursuit of a first win as they hosted West Bromwich Albion who also hoped for a first victory of the season as they visited the Britannia Stadium. A double blow for the Potters saw Ibrahim Afellay and Charlie Adam dismissed either side of the half hour mark with the Baggies taking advantage just before the interval through summer signing Salomon Rondon's 45th minute strike. The Baggies held on to their slim lead to secure their first success of the season with a 1-0 victory.

The evening game from White Hart Lane saw Tottenham look for their first win as they hosted Everton who looked for their second success. However, both sides had to settle for a point each as they played out a 0-0 draw.

Super Sunday began with Southampton's hosting of Norwich at St Mary's Stadium with both sides hoping to build on mixed starts to the season. The Canaries suffered a blow on 31 minutes with the dismissal of Steven Whittaker before a second blow came just before the interval as Graziano Pellé put the Saints ahead. Dusan Tadic struck twice in three minutes (64,67) to put the hosts in firm control as they eased to a 3-0 triumph.

The second game of the afternoon saw Swansea host Manchester United at the Liberty Stadium with the Swans looking for a third successive win over United who looked to prevent such a feat while extending their unbeaten start. The sides were level into the half-time break before a Juan Mata strike three minutes after the restart gave the visitors the lead. The previous two meetings had seen Swansea come from behind to secure victory and this time around they did just that as Andre Ayew equalised on 61 minutes before Bafetimbi Gomis secured a 2-1 win on 66 minutes.