Tuesday, 6 October 2015

Five Star Aguero Send City Top While Reds Draw Derby

Ahead of an International break, gameweek eight saw two managerial exits from sides which wasted leads in games they ended up drawing while a five goal haul from a certain Argentinian striker left denied a first win for the Magpies.

Saturday's early kick-off came from Selhurst Park as high-flying Crystal Palace hosted West Brom with the hosts keen to close the gap at the top. A tight first half saw the sides remain level into the interval but Palace struck on 68 minutes through Yannick Bolasie before a late penalty from Yohan Cabaye wrapped up a 2-0 win.

In the first of a quintet of 3pm games, Aston Villa played host to Stoke City at Villa Park with both sides looking to move closer to the top half of the table. Stoke make the breakthrough just ten minutes into the second half as Marko Arnautovic secured a welcome three points which moved the Potters clear of the drop zone.

A battle between two of the newly promoted sides saw Bournemouth host Watford at the Vitality Stadium with both looking to boost mixed starts to the season. The Cherries struck first as summer signing Glenn Murray gave them the lead on 28 minutes but the Hornets struck back just before the interval as Odion Ighalo continued his superb scoring streak with a 45th minute equaliser which was enough to ensure a share of the points.

After a woeful start to the season, Newcastle travelled to the Etihad Stadium to face a Manchester City side who were keen to return to the top of the table and extend the Magpies poor run without a win. Newcastle stunned the City faithful as Aleksandar Mitrovic gave them the lead on 18 minutes, City levelled with four minutes left of the half through Sergio Aguero and the sides went into the break at 1-1.

Aguero ran riot in the second half as he completed his hat-trick within five minutes of the restart for 3-1 with Kevin De Bruyne adding a strike on 53 minutes for 4-1. However, Aguero's assault on the Magpies resumed just eight minutes later as he struck twice more in as many minutes to complete a stunning 17 minutes for the hosts and as they cruised to a 6-1 triumph.

Leicester City made a superb start to the season and looked to continue their high-flying as they travelled to Carrow Road to face Norwich City who looked to move into the top half. The Foxes started well and went ahead on 28 minutes through a Jamie Vardy penalty before Jeff Schlupp doubled the lead two minutes after the interval. Norwich stayed in the hunt and pulled one back on 68 minutes as Dieumerci Mbokani struck for 2-1 which is how the game ended.

Sunderland's miserable start to the season had the chance to improve as they hosted high-flying West Ham United and their hopes were given an early boost as Steven Fletcher and Jermain Lens put them 2-0 ahead inside 22 minutes. The Hammers cut the gap just before half-time through Carl Jenkinson and they were given a double boost either side of the hour mark as the hosts went down to 10 via Lens being dismissed and Dmitri Payet slotted in an equaliser for 2-2 to deny the hosts a first win and leave them in the bottom three. The result led to Sunderland manager Dick Advocaat leaving his post with them sitting in 19th.

The evening kick-off saw Chelsea host Southampton at Stamford Bridge with the Champions desperate to boost their flagging start to the season while the Saints hoped to remain in the top half of the table. The Blues started well and went ahead inside ten minutes after a superb effort from Willian but they went into the interval on level terms after Steven Davis' 43rd minute equaliser.

Southampton completed their comeback on the hour as Sadio Mané put them in front before a stunning strike from Graziano Pellé secured the points and a 3-1 victory to leave Chelsea in 16th.

Super Sunday began with the Merseyside derby at Goodison Park as city rivals Everton and Liverpool faced off with the Reds looking to boost a mixed start to the season while the Toffees were keen to move into the top four. As expected the first half was a closely fought one but despite being level at the interval both sides were on the board, Danny Ings put the Reds ahead on 41 minutes only for his effort to be cancelled out by Romelu Lukaku's 45th minute leveller. The sides remained level and shared the spoils but the result proved to be the last for Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers who was sacked just two hours after the final whistle.

The second televised game saw fierce rivals Arsenal and Manchester United meet at the Emirates Stadium with the Gunners looking to leapfrog their opponents into second while United looked to reclaim top spot from City. An amazing start from the hosts saw them race into a 2-0 lead inside seven minutes as Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Ozil struck in the space of two minutes. Sanchez doubled his tally on 19 minutes and the Gunners looked set to embarrass the visitors. However, the three goal gap remained as they secure the win and left United with work to do in the International break.

The final game of the weekend saw Swansea host Tottenham at the Liberty Stadium with both hoping to move up the table. Swansea started the better of the two sides a they took a 16th minute lead after a header from the in-form Andre Ayew but were soon pegged back by a clever free-kick from Christian Eriksen. Tottenham's joy was short lived as a bizarre own goal from Harry Kane restored the lead for the Swans but alike their first deficit, the visitors drew level with a second free-kick from Eriksen on 65 minutes to ensure they took away a point.