Thursday, 22 October 2015

Sterling Treble Keeps City Top While Reds Hold Spurs

After an international break which saw two sides reveal new managers, the Premier League returned in stunning style with two games featuring 14 goals alone while the managers on debut had mixed starts.

Saturday's early kick-off came from White Hart Lane as Tottenham played host to Liverpool with the Reds under the stewardship of Jurgen Klopp for the first time.

A tight game saw both sides have good chances to score but to no avail as they shared the points and denied Klopp a perfect start after the 0-0 scoreline.

In the first of six 3pm games, Chelsea hosted Aston Villa at Stamford Bridge with both looking to improve on their mixed form. The Blues struck first on 34 minutes as Diego Costa put them ahead and the Spaniard looked to have scored a second on 54 minutes. However,  his effort deflected in off Alan Hutton for an own goal and 2-0 was enough for the hosts to seal a much needed win.

Crystal Palace looked to continue their high-flying status as they hosted fellow high-fliers West Ham United in a London derby. The Hammers started the better and went ahead on 22 minutes through Carl Jenkinson but were quickly pegged back by Yohan Cabaye's 25th minute penalty for 1-1.

The Eagles suffered a blow just before the interval as Dwight Gayle was sent off but they managed to hold at 1-1 until the final minutes when strikes from Manuel Lanzini and Dimitri Payet sealed a 3-1 win for the Hammers.

Ahead of Everton's hosting of Manchester United at Goodison Park, the football world learnt of the shock passing of former Toffee's manager Howard Kendall who led them through their greatest period of success and was well remembered ahead of kick-off. For the hosts though it wasn't to be their day as they fell to a 3-0 defeat which started with an 18th minute opener from Morgan Schneiderlin which was rapidly followed by a second strike as Ander Herrera scored. The win was wrapped up on the hour mark as former Everton striker Wayne Rooney confirmed a 3-0 win.

Manchester City looked to remain on top of the table as they hosted Bournemouth at the Etihad Stadium and they started superbly as Raheem Sterling and Wilfried Bony made it 2-0 inside 11 minutes.

The Cherries responded on 22 minutes through Glenn Murray but it was to be in vain as Sterling completed a first half hat-trick on 28 and 45 minutes for 4-1 at the interval with a fifth coming late on as Bony struck his second goal for a 5-1 triumph.

Leicester and Southampton faced off at the King Power Stadium as they both looked to close up on the top four and the hosts boosted their hopes with a rare strike from Jose Fonte before Virgil van Dijk doubled the lead on 37 minutes for 2-0. However, Leicester have been the experts at coming from behind this season and they continued as Jamie Vardy scored a brace on 66 and 90 minutes to salvage a 2-2 draw.

Sunderland travelled to face West Brom at The Hawthorns looking for their first win of the season and with Sam Allardyce installed as manager, hopes were boosted but to their dismay their poor form was to continue. The Baggies sealed a narrow 1-0 win with a 55th minute strike from Saido Berahino which moved them away from the danger zone.

The evening kick-off saw another London derby as Watford hosted Arsenal at Vicarage Road and in a tight first half, the Hornets did well to hold the Gunners to a 0-0 scoreline. However, their joy turned to misery in the space of 13 minutes as Arsenal sealed a 3-0 win with strikes from Alexis Sanchez, Olivier Giroud and Aaron Ramsey which puts them just two points off top spot.

Super Sunday saw a truly stunning game as Newcastle United hosted Norwich City at St James Park with the Magpies looking for their first win of the season and in an eight goal thriller their wait was at an end.

Georginio Wijnaldum put the hosts ahead on 13 minutes before Dieumerci Mbokani levelled just seven minutes later for 1-1. Wijnaldum struck again for 2-1 before Ayoze Perez made it three on 33 minutes only to have his effort instantly followed by a reply from Norwich as Nathan Redmond made it 3-2. Aleksandar Mitrovic regained the two goal lead for the Magpies at 4-2 on 64 minutes before Wijnaldum completed his hat-trick for 5-2 just two minutes later. Newcastle's first win was long confirmed but on 85 minutes came a special moment as Wijnaldum struck a stunning fourth for 6-2 to become the first player to score four for the Magpies since Andy Cole.

Monday Night Football saw Swansea City host Stoke City at the Liberty Stadium with both sides keen to distance themselves from the danger zone. Stoke made a perfect start as they were awarded a penalty inside four minutes which Bojan Krkic slotted in to put them ahead and 1-0 proved to be enough for the Potters to secure a win that moved them above their opponents into 11th.