Monday, 21 November 2016

Chelsea Go Top As Saints Hold Reds

After the final International break of the year, Premier League action returned with game-week 12 which saw changes at both the top and bottom of the standings.

Saturday's opening game saw a clash at Old Trafford between Manchester United and Arsenal with Arsene Wenger looking to end his hoodoo against Jose Mourinho.

A goalless first hour between the sides saw a breakthrough come seven minutes later as United struck through Juan Mata for a 1-0 lead.

The win looked to be on the cards for the hosts as the game entered the final stages but a a clever move from the Gunners saw Olivier Giroud salvage a point in a 1-1 draw.

Manchester City had the chance to move top of the table as they visited Crystal Palace who looked to boost their poor year to date.

City led at the interval as a strike from forgotten star Yaya Touré put them 1-0 ahead on 38 minutes but they were pegged back just after the hour mark by a superb score from Connor Wickham. The points would go to City though as Touré struck his second seven minutes from the end to secure a 2-1 win and put City level at the top.

Swansea City visited Everton at Goodison Park looking to cut the gap to safety and give Bob Bradley a first win in charge.

They opened the scoring three minutes before half time with a penalty from Gylfi Sigurdsson but were denied a win by a late leveller from the Toffees.

Seamus Coleman struck from close range in the 89th minute to salvage a point in a 1-1 draw that left Swansea bottom of the table due to other results.

Liverpool had the chance to go clear at the top of the table as they visited Southampton at St Mary's.

The Reds missed the chance though as they wasted numerous chances in a 0-0 stalemate which saw them remain top but by way of goal difference from Manchester City.

Stoke City hosted a Bournemouth side who were looking to move up into the top half with victory at the Bet365 Stadium.

The game was settled by a single goal as the Cherries claimed a 1-0 win with a 26th minute winner from Nathan Aké.

Sunderland looked to move off the bottom with a second win in a row as they hosted Hull City.

An opener from Jermain Defoe on 34 minutes saw the hosts lead 1-0 into the interval before Victor Anichebe doubled the lead just after the hour mark.

The former Everton striker secured his first league brace with Sunderland's third goal of the game with seven minutes remaining and despite the late dismissal of Papy Djilobodji, the Mackems secured a 3-0 win and moved off the bottom of the table.

Leicester City looked to move clear of the danger zone as they visited Watford at Vicarage Road.

A perfect start for the hosts saw Etienne Capoue score inside 40 seconds with Roberto Pereyra doubling the lead with just 12 minutes played.

Riyad Mahrez cut the deficit within three minutes with a penalty but the Foxes were unable to avoid a 2-1 loss.

The evening kick-off saw a five goal London derby thriller between Tottenham and West Ham.

Michail Antonio put the Hammers ahead on 24 minutes before a debut strike from Harry Winks saw Spurs level on 51 minutes.

The Hammers regained the lead with a 68th minute penalty from Manuel Lanzini who's strike looked to be enough to secure a 2-1 win as the game entered the final stages. However, Spurs had other ideas as Harry Kane levelled on 89 minutes before completing the comeback with a penalty in added time for 3-2. West Ham's downfall ended with a second booking in as many minutes for Winston Reid who was sent off.

Chelsea had the chance to leapfrog Liverpool at the top as they visited Middlesbrough on Sunday afternoon.

The Blues sealed all three points with a solitary strike three minutes before half time as Diego Costa extended his scoring spree to seal a 1-0 success.

The week's action came to an end on Monday night as West Bromwich Albion hosted Burnley with both looking to move into the top half.

A rapid start from the Baggies saw Matt Phillips open the scoring inside four minutes before James Morrison doubled the lead after just 16 minutes.

Darren Fletcher extended the advantage to 3-0 eight minutes before the interval and a miserable evening for the Clarets was completed just after the hour mark as Salomon Rondon wrapped up a 4-0 rout.