Thursday, 10 November 2016

Reds On Top After Hornets Demolition

Ahead of the International break, a new name appeared atop the Premier League after game-week 11.

Saturday's opening game on the fixture list saw Bournemouth hosting Sunderland with the visitors looking to claim their first win.

The Cherries opened the scoring inside 12 minutes through Dan Gosling before Victor Anichebe levelled on 33 minutes. The visitors were dealt a blow just before the hour mark as Steven Pienaar was sent off but the ten men secured all the points with a 79th minute winner as Jermain Defoe struck a penalty for 2-1.

Burnley came out on top in a five goal thriller as they defeated Crystal Palace 3-2. A perfect start for the Clarets saw Sam Vokes fire them ahead inside two minutes with Johann Gudmundsson doubling the lead after just 14 minutes.

Palace fought back with a strike on the hour mark from Connor Wickham before a penalty eight minutes from the end from Christian Benteke looked to have salvaged a point for the Eagles. Burnley had other ideas though as Ashley Barnes sealed the win in added time.

Manchester City looked to retain top spot as they hosted Middlesbrough at the Etihad Stadium.

Sergio Aguero put the hosts in front just before the interval but his effort and City's hopes of going clear at the top were cancelled out late on by Marten De Roon's equaliser who sealed a point in a 1-1 draw.

West Ham United looked to move away from the danger zone as they hosted Stoke City.

The Hammers were gifted the lead on 65 minutes through a Glenn Whelan own goal but were denied the win by a 76th minute leveller from Bojan Krkic. 

The evening kick-off saw Chelsea host Everton with the hosts looking to take top spot.

A rapid double from Eden Hazard and Marcos Alonso put the Blues 2-0 up inside 20 minutes before Diego Costa ensured a three goal lead into the interval.

The Toffees hopes of securing a comeback were scuppered within an hour as Hazard struck for a second time for 4-0. The rout was completed on 66 minutes by Pedro for 5-0.

Sunday's action began with the North London derby between Arsenal and Tottenham. The sides shared the points in a 1-1 draw which saw an unfortunate own goal from Kevin Wimmer give the Gunners the lead at the interval. Spurs secured a point as Harry Kane slotted in a penalty in the 50th minute.

Hull City looked to cut the gap to safety as they hosted Southampton. The Saints started superbly as Charlie Austin slotted in a penalty after six minutes before the hosts staged a superb two minute comeback to secure a 2-1 win.

Robert Snodgrass levelled on 61 minutes before Michael Dawson sealed the points on 63 minutes.

Liverpool hosted Watford with the chance to go top of the table for the first time since May 2014.

Sadio ManĂ© fired the Reds ahead on 27 minutes with Philippe Coutinho swiftly adding a second on the half hour mark for 2-0. Emre Can ensured a three goal advantage before the interval before Roberto Firmino made it 4-0 ahead of ManĂ©'s second just before the hour mark.

Watford ended the Reds' spree with a strike from Daryl Janmaat on 75 minutes before Georginio Wijnaldum completed a 6-1 rout in added time.

Swansea City hoped to cut the gap to safety as they hosted Manchester United at the Liberty Stadium.

United opened the scoring after just 16 minute with a clever effort from Paul Pogba before a brace from Zlatan Ibrahimovic made it 3-0 to the visitors on 34 minutes.

Swansea got off the mark in the 69th minute through Mike van der Hoorn but it was to be only a consolation in a 3-1 loss.

Leicester City looked to boost their mixed season as they hosted West Bromwich Albion. The visitors opened the scoring through James Morrison on 53 minutes before a rapid reply saw Islam Slimani level the for the Foxes within two minutes. The points were sealed for the Baggies on 72 minutes as Matt Phillips struck the winner for 2-1.