Saturday, 28 January 2017

Chelsea Eight Clear While Swans Stun Reds

Ahead of the FA Cup fourth round, Premier League action reached game-week 22 which saw a few surprise results.

The weekend began with the early kick-off at Anfield between Liverpool and Swansea City. The sides played out a goalless first half before three strikes in seven minutes lit the game up.

Fernando Llorente struck twice within seven minutes of the restart to give the Swans a 2-0 lead before Roberto Firmino cut the gap for the hosts. Firmino levelled on 69 minutes but a superb move from Gylfi Sigurdsson sealed a 3-2 win for the visitors.

Bournemouth and Watford shared the points in a 2-2 draw at the Vitality Stadium which saw Christian Kabasele put the Hornets in front after 24 minutes. The hosts were level just three minutes after half-time with Josh King equalising before falling behind to Troy Deeney's 64th minute effort. The points were shared after Benik Afobe denied the Hornets the win with a 82nd minute leveller.

Crystal Palace slipped into the bottom three after losing 1-0 to Everton at Selhurst Park. The Toffees secured the points with three minutes left of the 90 as Seamus Coleman slotted in for a 1-0 win.

West Ham United moved into the top half with a comfortable 3-1 win away to Middlesbrough.

The Hammers went ahead after just nine minutes with a strike from Andy Carroll but were pegged back on 27 minutes as Cristhian Stuani levelled.

Carroll regained the lead for the visitors just before the interval with Johnathan Calleri confirmed the win in added time.

Manchester United closed on the top four with a 1-1 draw at Stoke City. United went behind on 18 minutes with an unfortunate own goal by Juan Mata. However, they battled back to salvage a draw in added time with a goal from Wayne Rooney which saw him eclipse Sir Bobby Charlton's record of 249 goals for the club.

West Bromwich Albion piled further pressure on struggling Sunderland with a 2-0 win at The Hawthorns. The Baggies sealed the points with a six minute spree with Darren Fletcher opening the scoring on the half hour mark before Chris Brunt doubled the lead.

Manchester City missed the chance to move into the top four as they were denied in a 2-2 draw with Tottenham Hotspur.

Leroy Sane put the hosts ahead four minutes after half-time with Kevin De Bruyne doubling the lead five minutes later. Spurs battled back and soon pulled one back through Dele Alli who then went on to salvage a point with his second strike on 77 minutes.

Southampton continued their good start to 2017 with a comfortable 3-0 win over Leicester City

The Saints went into the interval 2-0 to the good after an opener from James Ward-Prowse and effort from Jay Rodriguez.  The gloss on the win came four minutes from the end of the 90 as Dusan Tadic struck from the penalty spot.

Arsenal sit second after a 2-1 win over Burnley at the Emirates Stadium, Shkodran Mustafi gave the Gunners the lead just before the hour mark but they were dealt a blow just six minutes later with the dismissal of Granit Xhaka.

Andre Gray pulled one back for the Clarets in the fifth minute of added time with a penalty but Arsenal were to have the last say as Alexis Sanchez converted a penalty eight minutes into added time.

Chelsea continued their stay at the summit after securing a 2-0 win over struggling Hull City.

The Blues went ahead with a strike from Diego Costa just before half-time and Gary Cahill wrapped up the points with nine minutes to go.