Saturday, 14 January 2017

FA Cup Third Round Review

A beak from Premier League action saw the hallowed FA Cup third round take place with a number of lower league and non league sides looking to cause upsets.

Friday night saw the round open with an all top flight battle as West Ham United hosted Manchester City.After a close-knit first half hour, the Hammers were carved open three times before the interval as Yaya TourĂ© converted a penalty ahead of a Nordtveit own goal and effort from David Silva.

Sergio Aguero continued the rout within five minutes of the restart with John Stones rounding off a hammering six minutes from the end.

Saturday's early kick off saw Manchester United join their city rivals in the fourth round after a comfortable 4-0 win over Championship side Reading.

An early opener from Wayne Rooney in the seventh minute saw him equal Sir Bobby Charlton's scoring record before Anthony Martial doubled the lead inside 15 minutes. A rapid double in the second half saw Marcus Rashford strike on 75 and 79 minutes.

An all League Two battle saw Accrington Stanley host Luton Town with the hosts claiming a 2-1 win.

Sean McConville fired Stanley ahead just before half-time with Gray replying for the Hatters on 54 minutes. The hosts regained the lead through Beckless just three minutes later with the visitors afternoon ending miserably with the late dismissal of Rea.

League One side Rochdale avoided an upset as they defeated National League side Barrow 2-0.

A brace from Henderson in the 18th and 61st minutes was enough to secure a win for the 'Dale.

An all Championship battle saw Birmingham City host Newcastle United with the sides facing a replay after a 1-1 draw.

An early opener from Murphy saw the Magpies lead inside six minutes but were denied a safe passage into the fourth round by Lucas Jutkiewicz's 42nd minute equaliser.

League Two side Blackpool secured a replay against Championship side Barnsley after holding their higher placed opponents to a 0-0 draw.

Alike Blackpool, Bolton Wanderers held firm against higher placed opponents as they claimed a 0-0 draw against top flight side Crystal Palace.

Championship side Brentford eased to a 5-1 thrashing of National League opponents Eastleigh. The hosts took just nine minutes to open the scoring with Barbet converting a penalty.

Field and Vibe made it 3-0 before the 24th minute before Obileye pulled one back for the visitors on 29 minutes.

A second from Field was followed by a Sawyers effort just before the interval which ended the spree.

Championship leaders Brighton and Hove Albion advanced to the fourth round with a 2-0 win over League One side Milton Keynes Dons.

The hosts took an early lead through Kayal inside nine minutes before Hemed doubled the lead with a 72nd minute strike.

Another Championship-League One battle saw Bristol City host Fleetwood Town with the sides facing a replay after a 0-0 draw.

An all top flight battle saw Everton hosting Leicester City with the Foxes looking to gain revenge for the recent defeat to the Toffees.

They did just that as they claimed a 2-1 win which saw them come from behind after Romelu Lukaku put the hosts ahead on 63 minutes. The comeback saw Ahmed Musa strike twice in the space of five minutes to secure the win.

Championship side Huddersfield Town stormed to a 4-0 win over League One side Port Vale to book a place in the fourth round.

The hosts opened the scoring on 28 minutes through Payne but were held out until midway through the second half when the visitors were carved open by three goals in 11 minutes with Palmer and Bunn striking ahead of Payne's second.

A battle between two struggling top flight sides saw Hull City pile the pressure on Swansea City with a 2-0 win.

The hosts went ahead on 78 minutes through Abel Hernandez's effort before Tymon confirmed the win late on.

One of the results of the day saw Championship side Ipswich Town avoid suffering an upset at the hands of National League leaders Lincoln City.

The Red Imps took a surprise lead inside seven minutes with a Robinson strike before being rapidly pegged back by a leveller from Lawrence. The visitors regained the lead on 65 minutes as Robinson struck for a second time and looked on course for a famous win as the game entered the final five minutes but the hopes were dashed by Lawrence's second leveller on 86 minutes but the visitors will be happy to take the Tractor Boys to a replay.

League One side Millwall dumped top flight Bournemouth as they defeated they much changed Cherries 3-0.

A 26th minute opener from Morison set the Lions on their way before Cummings doubled the lead. The superb victory was completed late on as Ferguson added a third for the hosts.

Championship side Norwich City left it late to force a replay as they drew 2-2 with top flight Southampton.

The Saints led on 38 minutes with a strike from Virgil van Dijk but were pegged back by a penalty from Whittaker in the 52nd minute.

Maya Yoshida restored the visitors' lead on 66 minutes but the Canaries were not to be denied a draw as Steven Naismith struck in added time.

An all Championship battle saw Queens Park Rangers suffer a 2-1 defeat to Blackburn Rovers.

The R's gifted the lead to Rovers with Lynch scoring an own goal inside eight minutes before Rovers got a second via Feeney on 58 minutes.The hosts cut the gap within three minutes with a penalty from Bidwell which proved only to be a consolation.

A Championship-League One battle which saw an upset was Rotherham United losing 3-2 to Oxford United.

Taylor put the visitors ahead four minutes before half-time with Ward levelling six minutes after the interval. A late show from both sides saw Edwards and Hemmings seal the win for Oxford at 3-1 before Adeyemi had the last say for 3-2.

Top flight Stoke City were handed an upset as Championship side Wolverhampton Wanderers secured a 2-0 victory.

Wolves opened the scoring through Costa on 29 minutes before a strike from Doherty confirmed the win on 80 minutes.

A battle between two top flight sides saw Sunderland and Burnley play out a 0-0 draw which forces a replay.

National League side Sutton United will face a replay after claiming a well earned 0-0 draw against League One side AFC Wimbledon.

Top flight Watford avoided suffering an upset from Championship side Burton Albion as they claimed a 2-0 win.

The Hornets took the lead on 22 minutes with a strike from Christian Kabasele before Jerome Sinclair confirmed the win on 77 minutes.

Top flight West Bromwich Albion suffered an upset as they lost 2-1 to Championship side Derby County. Matt Phillips put the Baggies ahead on 35 minutes before they were pegged back by a leveller from Darren Bent and winning goal from Tom Ince within eight minutes of the half-time restart.

An all Championship battle saw struggling Wigan Athletic claim a 2-0 win over Nottingham Forest. The Latics went ahead just before half-time with a strike from Will Grigg before Yanic Wildschut confirmed the win on 57 minutes.

League Two side Wycombe Wanderers avoided a replay as they edged Evo-stik Northern Premier League side Stourbridge 2-1.  The hosts went ahead through Wood two minutes after half-time before Dan Scarr levelled for the Glassboys on 70 minutes, Their hopes of a famous draw were dashed with just seven minutes to go as Adebayo Akinfenwa headed in.

Championship side Preston North End were denied a replay against top flight Arsenal as they lost 2-1. The Lillywhites started superbly with a Robinson strike putting them in front inside seven minutes. The Gunners levelled just after the interval through Aaron Ramsey before Olvier Giroud sealed the win in the 89th minute.

Sunday's early kick-off saw an all Championship battle with Fulham coming out on top with a 2-1 win over Cardiff City.

The Cottagers went behind inside eight minutes to a Pilkington strike before levelling just six minutes later through Johansen. The winning goal came on 33 minutes as Sessegnon struck.

An historic battle between top flight Liverpool and League Two side Plymouth Argyle saw a 0-0 draw. The Reds named their youngest ever competitive eleven and were held out superbly by Argyle who forced a replay after a great 90 minutes.

Chelsea eased to a 4-1 win over League One side Peterborough United. The Blues opened the scoring through Pedro on 17 minutes before Michy Batshuayi and Willian struck either side of the interval for 3-0.

John Terry was sent off on 67 minutes and and the visitors took advantage with a strike from Nichols just three minutes later. The last say went to the hosts as Pedro struck a second on 75 minutes.

Middlesbrough avoided an upset from Championship side Sheffield Wednesday with a 3-0 win. The hosts went ahead with a strike from Grant Leadbitter before having Daniel Ayala sent off a minute later.

Alvaro Negredo doubled the lead on 68 minutes before Marten de Roon confirmed the win in added time.

A battle between two former winners saw Tottenham Hotspur hosting Championship side Aston Villa with Spurs claiming a 2-0 win.

Ben Davies opened the scoring for the hosts on 72 minutes before Son Heung-Min confirmed the win on 80 minutes.

League Two side Cambridge United missed out on a replay against Championship side Leeds United as they lost 2-1 on Monday night.

The hosts went ahead through Ikpeazu on 25 minutes before a rapid double from Leeds saw Dallas level on 56 minutes and Mowatt secure the win on 63 minutes.